Tuesday, June 23, 2009

News Gets Around

There was so much to write about yesterday that I am using today to update you with the rest of my adventures, most of which have to do with...news.

Yesterday, I went with Mary Avalak to the store to buy the material for the parka she is making me. It will be in the "Mother Hubbard" style and I am very excited about it! True, I won't get to wear it very often, but it is a piece of Cambridge Bay culture that is very special to me, especially since Mary is making it for me.


Mary takes my measurements


Yesterday and today, we bought the food and supplies for the Aboriginal Day cookout. It is difficult to plan for events like this one that are open to the entire community, because the turnouts depends solely on how well we publicize them. Public relations in this community is a little more difficult than most. The first newsletter was published only a few weeks ago, and it is important that any radio publication is translated into Inuinnaqtun. Fortunately, word of mouth works pretty well, especially when there is free food! There is an elder here whom I have nicknamed "the college student" because every time there is an event with free food, he is there, regardless of whether it is a teacher appreciation luncheon or the 6th grade graduation potluck. : ) I should just hang out with him more often!


Food!


Today, I continued working on the "Street Beat" article for the Nunavut News North newspaper. The "Street Beat" section of the newspaper is where Nunavut residents are asked their opinions about current news issues. This week's question is, "How do you think a recycling program would benefit Cambridge Bay?" I will try to post the article when it shows up in the newspaper!

In my spare time, I discovered this article on Nunatsiaq News' website, entitled "Climate change scientists "part of the problem"." You should definitely read this article. I agree with this man's point of view that local researchers should be utilized as often as possible and that researchers who fly north have a huge carbon footprint. However, I could not help but wonder why a caribou researcher, who admittedly flies several times to the Arctic each year, would think he is the most qualified to champion this cause.

In the juicy gossip column part of the news, I have finally been here long enough to have heard a rumor being spread about me in Cambridge Bay! The lady I am living with works at the bank, and she said someone told her today, "Have you heard of that blonde girl who works at the Heritage Society? She's been here for three months and has been staying at the Green Row (apartments that cost $200 a night!)...she must be loaded!" Joey laughed and said, "Well, actually, she's only been here for a little over a month and she's staying with me!!" : )

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Abbey! Having that parka will be so special! I'm so glad someone is making it for you! :)

    ReplyDelete